Financial Literacy for Everyone
Follow Us
For Broadcasters

Learn how you can play our weekly Practical Money Matters on your station. Learn more

Play NFL

Challenge yourself with Financial Football
Play our fun video game to test your knowledge about money.
Play now

PMM articles

Practical Money Matters
Disputing a credit card charge? Graduating? Leasing a car? Learn important tips from our weekly article series.
Read now

social media

Connect with us!
For daily money tips, quips and pics, follow us on social media.
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Practical Money Matters Radio Series

July 22, 2013
When to File an Amended Tax Return

download share

If you realize after filing your taxes that there was an error on your return, could an amended return be in your best interest?


Have you ever discovered after filing your income taxes that your employer sent an incorrect W-2 Form, or you forgot to report income.

Although it's tempting to let such mistakes slide, chances are the IRS will eventually discover the error. Then, you'll be liable for interest and penalties going back to the original due date. On the other hand, if you overlooked tax deductions or credits you should have claimed, you could be due a big refund. Either way, you should file an amended tax return, using IRS Form 1040X. The process is relatively straightforward, but I'd recommend following the instructions at

Bottom line: The IRS usually spots mistakes eventually, so you'll rest easier by filing an amended return.

Related Articles

Email to a friend

Your Name:
Your Email:
Recipient's Email:
Enter code:

The information that you provide through this e-mail feature will not be stored by Visa for any other purposes. Please refer to Visa's privacy policy for details.