October 28, 2013
5 Ways to Trim Your Holiday Expenses
Five tips to stay within your holiday budget.
The holidays can be a stressful and expensive time and it's easy to overspend. Here are a few tips to cut costs:
- Don't wait until the last minute to shop - procrastinators often overspend in their panic.
- Spend no more than 1.5 percent of your total household income on all aspects of the holidays.
- Pool your resources. Go in with family and friends on gift lotteries or agree to forego exchanging gifts this year.
- Get creative. Use discount coupons and mobile shopping apps to compare prices.
- Consider alternative gifts. Offer your time to babysit, run errands or take older relatives to appointments.
Bottom line: Planning, organization and creativity are keys to controlling your holiday spending so it doesn't bust your budget.
Email to a friend