December 9, 2013
6 Tips to Keep Your Financial New Year's Resolutions
Six small steps you can take to keep your financial New Year's resolutions.
Next to losing weight, New Year's resolutions involving personal finances are probably the toughest to follow. You'll need discipline and planning - and it's not unusual to encounter a few setbacks.
Start with small steps that will bring immediate rewards. For example:
- Pay your bills on time and you'll avoid late fees and interest rate hikes.
- Regularly balance your checking account to avoid overdrafts.
- Use workplace flexible spending accounts, if available.
- Reduce energy bills by lowering the thermostat and weatherproofing your home.
- Pay off debts with the highest interest rates first.
- Create an emergency fund and save a few dollars each week.
Bottom line: Striving to improve your financial situation now will pay off down the road.
Email to a friend