January 13, 2014
5 Tips for Choosing a Tax Preparer
Five tips for seeking a professional to handle your taxes.
Relinquishing the task of calculating your taxes to a professional may save you time and give you peace of mind. But remember - you're still legally responsible for all of the information on the return, including any additional taxes or penalties triggered by their mistakes.
Use the same standards for choosing a preparer as you would for a doctor. Here are a few tips:
- Ask how their fees are determined.
- Ask whether your return's preparation will be outsourced.
- Avoid preparers who base their fee on a percentage of the refund.
- Check for complaints filed with the Better Business Bureau. \n\n
- Ask their policy for reimbursement of fines, penalties and interest.
Bottom line: Do your homework before hiring a tax preparer because you are legally responsible for their work.
Email to a friend