You can find the exotic, the relaxing, the remote and the urban all while traveling stateside. The perks are no passports or visas (or the additional fees and time to get them), no worries about foreign currency or a potentially cheaper flight. Here are a few tips for budget-friendly travel within the U.S.:
- Opt for lodging with a kitchen to save on the cost of food.
- Ask about discounts at hotels, restaurants and museums that are available to members of any organizations you belong to, such as AAA or AARP.
- Go camping. Soak up the stars, relax outdoors, seek out adventures, or have quality time with family around a campfire – for thousands less than a faraway vacation.
- Keep an eye out for specials. From deals on flights and lodging to special offers on massage, vacation specials are a great way to save. Search online for specials in the area you’d like to visit.
- Take a road trip. If you’re not traveling too far, it might be more cost-effective to drive. Plus, you can add destinations along the way to expand your sightseeing.
Search for deals on flights and hotels (Orbitz, Travelocity, Kayak, Expedia, Priceline and Hotels.com are other popular sites). Check out the deals at us.lastminute.com
Create an itinerary and pull up maps for your trip. travel.yahoo.com
Plan trips to U.S. parks and campsites. www.nps.gov
Browse events and attractions across the U.S. www.unitedstatestouristattractions.com
Email to a friend