No doubt, you’re familiar with the “staycation” phenomenon. In case you’ve been out of the loop, it’s the budget-savvy, stay-local version of the old-fashioned vacation. Many travelers are embracing the concept of saving thousands on airfare and lodging by spending time off near home and enjoying inexpensive activities in their area. Here are a few ways to get the most out of yours.
- Create a solid staycation plan so you don’t get stuck doing errands and chores.
- Turn off your cell and close that laptop. Limiting your time on tech means time off that more closely resembles a real vacation; it can also help you avoid racking up prime-time minutes.
- Pick low-cost activities over high-cost ones; remember, more expensive doesn’t always mean more fun.
- Check out all of the nearby spots you’ve wanted to visit, and consider daytrips. They’ll allow you to see the sights and enjoy a change of scenery without having to pay for an overnight stay.
- Consider ordering food for takeout or delivery or bringing in a chef to cook for you. Without the costs of travel or accommodations, it’s easier to splurge on a few luxuries.
Read reviews of local restaurants, museums, spas and more - www.yelp.com/
Search for unique spots in your area that you may have never thought to visit - www.roadsideamerica.com/
A good resource for scoping out nearby tourist attractions - www.usatourist.com/
Browse upcoming events near you - www.eventful.com/
Email to a friend