Your resume details your professional experience, skills, education and activities that help you stand out as a job candidate. It is one of the most important things you'll present to potential employers. Your resume deserves special preparation.
- Make it stand out. Make sure your resume stands out by incorporating smart, organized content and appealing design.
- Stay relevant. A well-written resume should focus on skills and experiences that are relevant to the specific position you are applying for.
- Showcase your abilities. Include your education and other applicable experience along with any awards you've earned.
- Shorten it to one page. Prioritize the most significant information and filter out insignificant details. Before sharing your resume, have a trusted friend or colleague proofread it.
- Revise and update. As you continue down your career path, remember to update your resume with current work experiences so it is ready to share if a new opportunity unexpectedly arises.
Resume formats vary by industry. What's acceptable and expected for one type of job may not be for another. Make sure that your resume is appropriate for the jobs that you're applying for by researching proper formats and styles online. Take the additional step to have someone proofread your resume.